Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cherish The Memory And Look Forward To Hope (Gan Teong Wee, 1985-2003)

I am remembering Gan Teong Wee.

I wrote this short eulogy for Teong Wee's funeral. I am grateful that a dear friend, Brother and fellow-Officer, Terence Yap, read it out during the service. At least, in some small way, even though I was halfway round the world grieving, I was also "there" to send him off. 


Cherish the Memory and Look Forward to Hope

I cherish his memory.

I knew in Teong Wee a passionate Christian - young enough to have known Jesus as his heartbeat. I knew in Teong Wee a strong leader - his strength was in the gentle way in which he led those around him. I knew in Teong Wee a willing learner - humble enough to realize that it is possible for a young person not to know everything. There aren't enough young people like Teong Wee around.

I look forward to hope.

It is a hope that belongs only to Christians. A hope that I will one day see him again. I look forward to that coming Day, where all my tears will be wiped away, for I will see him standing with His Best Friend, smiling that smirk of his. I look forward to asking him if he's finally learned to play the guitar as well as he'd have liked. He'll probably show off. And we'll jam. We'll jam with the Lamb.

I cherish his memory and I look forward to hope.

Let his memory inspire us to live our lives fully and rightly - to remember our Creator, even in the days of our youth. And let this Hope that we have, both Sure and Steadfast, take us to the place behind the Veil, which enters into His Presence.  

This was also used on Teong Wee's memorial page, which is archived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will try to get back to you shortly.

Please note that I have also reserved the right to moderate comments.