Monday, November 24, 2008

Would You Miss The BB If It No Longer Existed?

Wow... I realized I have blogged more today than I have in a long, long time - must be the many things running through my mind recently.

Speaking of which, one of the things running through my mind has been this question:
Would we really, REALLY miss the BB if it no longer existed?
This question becomes more and more pertinent as we navigate how the Youth Act 2007 affects us (though I'm pretty sure we'll "survive"... somehow).

But then, the follow-up question really hit me:
If yes, then why aren't we doing something about it?
I can't tell you how disappointed I feel that, for all our b!tc#ing about the Youth Act and how the "old guard" is still trying desperately to "cling on to power" - there are so few of us who are willing to do our part - to offer solutions and not just state problems.

A recent state EGM saw yet more individuals "forced" into responsibilities they wouldn't take up on their own accord.

I'm reminded of a Captain who was literally in tears, begging not to be made the State Commissioner.

Honestly, I truly sympathise... I do. I've got a family, a kid, a home and household, a challenging job, a fledgling business, church responsibilities, etc.

Sigh... I don't know. I really do wonder.

I make no secret of the fact that one of the MAJOR reasons why I still serve actively in the BB is because I have "no answer" to do otherwise, especially in light of the example led by my current Captain - father of three growing children, owner of a growing business, co-owner of another business with his wife, church member, and all sorts of former State and National responsibilities. He has served in the BB for more than 20 years as an Officer, not counting his years as a Boy.

I know I'm not him. I'm not even called to be him - but really, if you really had any integrity of your own, could you look straight into his eyes and say, "Gosh, I need a break"?

As he says, "Serving in BB is, ultimately, a choice we make. Where there's a will, there's a way."

4 comments:

  1. True, very true indeed. At times, trying to think back of what that kept me going all these while, is the brotherhood that we find in BB, and also all the fantastic and eye-opening stuff that we see every week.

    From funny and lame actions that the boys do, to some serious issues that are arising, but, come to think of it, is it all worth it?

    A definite yes I would say, we've been molded into what we are today, all thanks to our past officers, which never gave up on the BB and also us, therefore what other better reasons do we have.

    And, nevertheless, our committed Captain, I really respect him for being able to sacrifice so much for BB, taking time out from work just to drop by to look at the boys, and encourage them.

    Let's help each other, motivate each other, and continue to strive, although Youth Act is a pain, but I believe, God has something planned for us =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. CM - thank you for your feedback. It's definitely encouraging to see how much you've matured through your time in the BB! I remember how you were just before you first became an NCO! And during your first NCO Council Meeting, you discovered that you were a topic in one of the AOB matters... which I thought was pretty hilarious. And now look at you... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this question of "Would You Miss The BB If It No Longer Existed?" arise due to the Youth Act as well?

    Eugene Fung.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will try to get back to you shortly.

Please note that I have also reserved the right to moderate comments.